Thursday, 23 September 2010

Books That Were Turned Into Movies

I have a perfectionist view on the way that books are made into movies. The best of them include such titles as Rebecca, Pride And Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, and even All About Eve was adapted from a short story in Cosmopolitan. The not so great ones include, errrr, can't think of any except (people are going to kill me for saying this) the 1944 Jane Eyre. I do love Joan Fontaine, Orson Welles, Margaret O'Brien, and Elizabeth Taylor (who plays Helen Burns) and the film is great until about halfway through, when the plot starts to slow down and everything slowly grounds to a halt. As a person who has read Jane Eyre, I do know what I am talking about and it seems to me that at the last minute, the filming was cancelled before finishing. Because instead of seeing the wedding or anything at the end, they just sit Joan and Orson on a bench with Joan's voice-over saying something like "he got his eyesight again, we got married and had a baby boy. The end".

Most of the adaptations that I have seen I have loved though. Cabaret is very good, and that was adapted from an autobiography. But when I see a book adapted into a film that is very different to what I imagined while reading, I feel very upset. It is like all of those characters in my head being killed off and being replaced with the Hollywood-ized versions that the studios turn out daily. I am never able to read the book again without thinking "hey, that isn't like the film!" or "but so-and-so never did that!". It really ruins the whole experience for me. (The same thing happens when I have seen the film and not the book and then read the book).


Get ready for a did you know... "Did you know," I drawled. Hey that's weird. Why am I talking in third person? Anyway. Did you know that Joan Fontaine was cast as Jane Eyre because she was cast as "The New Mrs. De Winter" in Rebecca and they wanted to shine light on the fact that Rebecca is actually based on Jane Eyre? Well, now you do. You learn something new every day ;-D. Well, I'm off to pack up a sleepover bag that will contain Dark Victory and a huge box of Kleenex.

~Bette

4 comments:

Frl. Irene Palfy said...

I am always mesmerised by Orson Welles' fake nose. :")

Bette said...

It is sort of mesmerising. You watch it go from side to side, side to side, side to side...

~Bette

Frl. Irene Palfy said...

:")

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the amazing advice about some of these classics turned movies. I'm probably going to try and watch them all! By the way, what's your input on the newest Jane Eyre movie?

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes me happy to see people are interested in my posts!

~Bette