Saturday, 4 September 2010

Now I Know What's The Trouble With Harry.

(WARNING all Trouble With Harry fans, this is a very negative review of a movie made by the world's best thriller director, who obviously does not know how to do black comedy.)

For one thing, Harry does not seem to be noticed properly until about halfway through the film. Until then he is just lying on a forest path being tripped over.
And here is Harry.
And for some reason Shirley MacLaine (Harry being her estranged husband) seems not to care at all that her husband is dead. In fact, it is her little boy who discovers the body but strangely doesn't recognise him! I know everyone has to make a bad movie, and Hitchcock, your's certainly was a doozie. So after 45 minutes of my idea of hell I decided to put on Mrs Minniver, Directed by William Wyler (who is by the way, topping my favourite directors list at the moment), and spent the rest of the evening crying my eyes out for Greer Garson.


Cast:
Plot: 
Mr. and Mrs. Miniver and their family live in a large house on the outskirts of London. They have a big garden and a private docking area on the river Thames. When their older son, Vin, comes home from Oxford where he has been studying, he falls in love with Carol Beldon, the grand-daughter of one of the most wealthy and influential women in the comunity. But when World War II starts, Vin joins the airforce and Mr. Minniver is part of a sort of home guard. Mrs. Minniver finds herself fighting in her own way at home to save not only her house and village which are rapidly being destroyed by bombs, but her family too.

The Review:
When I came into the room where we were watching it, my mum said "Bette, guess who directed this," I couldn't guess so my mum told me. "William Wyler," Well that was enough to glue me to my seat for a considerable amount of time, and that was before I had even seen Greer Garson as Mrs. Miniver. I spent the evening crying for her, her son, her husband and everyone. I didn't even notice the fact that the house looked like a Hollywood mansion rather than an English country-house. It was definitely a very moving film that has a big impact on you.

Awards

It was the Winner of 6 Academy Awards.
Award Won Result Notes
Outstanding Motion Picture Won Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Winner was Sidney Franklin, the film's producer
Best Director Won William Wyler
Best Actor Nominated Walter Pidgeon Winner was James Cagney for Yankee Doodle Dandy
Best Actress Won Greer Garson
Best Writing, Screenplay Won George Froeschel, James Hilton, Claudine West, Arthur Wimperis
Best Supporting Actor Nominated Henry Travers Winner was Van Heflin for Johnny Eager
Best Supporting Actress Won Teresa Wright
Best Supporting Actress Nominated May Whitty Winner was Teresa Wright for Mrs. Miniver
Best Cinematography, Black-and-White Won Joseph Ruttenberg
Best Effects, Special Effects Nominated A. Arnold Gillespie (photographic)
Warren Newcombe (photographic)
Douglas Shearer (sound)
Winner was Gordon Jennings, Farciot Edouart, William L. Pereira, Louis Mesenkop for Reap the Wild Wind
Best Film Editing Nominated Harold F. Kress Winner was Daniel Mandell for The Pride of the Yankees
Best Sound, Recording Nominated Douglas Shearer Winner was Nathan Levinson for Yankee Doodle Dandy
~Bette

1 comments:

Kate Gorman said...

I'm rewatching Mrs. Miniver on DVD. I love Greer Garson in this film! xx

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes me happy to see people are interested in my posts!

~Bette