Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Thats Our Victory, Our Victory Over The Dark!

There's no place like home! I am back after a stay at my friend's house, and we watched Hachi. from Blockbuster's. But only after 45 minutes did we find out how sad it was, and my sister insisted on turning it off. It was really good though. I am totally preoccupied thinking about the vaccine jab I have to have tomorrow morning, and I have film-reviewer block, so the best thing I can offer you today is a review of one of my favourite Bette Davis films.

I have to acknowledge Bette Davis' yet again spectacular performance as the terminally ill society girl in Dark Victory. It is about a society girl/horse rider, Judith Traherne (Bette Davis) who discovers that she is terminally ill with a brain tumour. They operate on her, but she is still "prognosis negative". The doctor, Frederick Steele (George Brent) and her best friend (Geraldine Fitzgerald) decide it would be best not to tell her. Judith falls in love with the doctor and while packing up for him before they move to Vermont, she discovers her file and finds out that she only has a few months to live. She then meets him for dinner very incensed and orders a "big order of prognosis negative". She starts to waste her life away, and only when her sensitive horseman (Humphrey Bogart) knocks some sense into her, does she go back with Dr. Steele. They Marry and agree not to talk about her condition. But one day when he is about to go to very important meeting in New York, her vision starts to go when she says to her best friend "its starting to cloud up. Why, its getting darker every minute! Funny, I can still see the sun on my hands (wretch and sob)". She decides not to tell the doctor so he can still excel at his career, but there is a very moving goodbye speech, because he knows she could die while he is away, starting with "Dahilng, have I been a good wife?" And ending with "I have been more happy this last month than I could have been in a lifetime. That's our victory, our victory over the dark!"

Here is one sentence to sum up this film. By the time Bette is half blind, I am on the verge of deciding to dedicate my life to discovering a cure to brain Tumours. LOVE IT!!!!!

~Bette

3 comments:

Frl. Irene Palfy said...

Marvellous film - with a wonderful Bette.. One of my alltime favourites.

quizshowbob said...

This is one of my favorite movies EVER! I've seen it at least 100 times. I loved the lemon-shaped hat she wore to cover her head after the surgery.

Anonymous said...

As usual, the remake STOLEN HOURS, despite starring Susan Hayward, was a pale imitation .
I think George Brent deserves more credit than he generally gets for his Warners films.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes me happy to see people are interested in my posts!

~Bette