Sunday, 24 October 2010

Classic Movie Survey From Amanda @ A Noodle In A Haystack

Here is a survey from the wonderful Amanda of A Noodle In A Haystack.

1. What is your favourite movie starring William Powell and Myrna Loy, excluding all of The Thin Man films?
Ummm, I don't think I've seen any other than The Thin Man, but I love that.
2. Name a screen team that appeared in only one film together but are still noteworthy for how well they complimented each other.
Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon (Some Like It Hot). The are funny beyond words.
3. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers' best film together?
It's shameful, but I haven't seen any!
4. Your favourite actor named "Robert"?
Robert Redford
5. An actor/actress who, when you see one of their movies, you always wish that someone else was in his/her role?
I have two movies where I wish the lead was being played by someone else: Julie Andrews in Star! and  Olivia Newton John in Grease (I know its not really an oldie, but I just don't like her.)
6. An actor/actress that someone close to you really loves that you can't stand or vice versa?
They don't like James Mason, but I love him!
7. An actor/actress that you both agree on completely?
Richard Burton. We both adore him.
8. Complete this sentence: Virginia O'Brien is to Ethel Merman as...
I haven't the foggiest.
9. What is your favourite film starring Ray Milland?
Dial M For Murder
10. You had to have seen this one coming: what is your favorite movie of the 1960s?
AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! Funny Girl and The Odd Couple tie.
11. An actor/actress that you would take out of one film and put into a different movie that was released the same year?
You ask the hardest questions.
12. Who was your favourite of Robert Montgomery's leading ladies?
I don't know... He has a strange mouth. I think Bette Davis was his leading lady once, but I haven't seen the film.
13. You think it would have been a disaster if what movie starred the actor/actress who was originally asked to star in it?
All About Eve if Marlene Dietrich had been cast as Margo Channing. Try saying "Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke," in a Marlene accent. You can't.
14. An actor/actress who you will watch in any or almost any movie?
Bette Davis and James Stewart
15. Your favorite Leslie Howard film and role?
I haven't seen any other than Gone With The Wind (*cough* Christmas *cough*), but from what I have read and heard, The Petrified Forest.
16. You have been asked to host a marathon of four Barbara Stanwyck films. Which ones do you choose?
Double Indemnity, The Lady Eve, The Miracle Worker and Golden Boy.
17. What is, in your mind, the nearest to perfect comedy you have ever seen? Why?
The Odd Couple. It is the epitome of Jewish comedy and the whole thing is just perfection. It features exchanges such as:
Felix: You mean you want me to leave this minute?
Oscar: Yes this minute if you could do it sooner I would appreciate it!
Felix: So in other words your throwing me out?
Oscar: Not in other words those are the perfect ones!
18. You will brook no criticism of what film?
All About Eve. There is nothing to criticise.
19. Who is your favourite Irish actress?
Maureen O'Hara. She is so spunky!
20. Your favourite 1940s movie starring Ginger Rogers?
Pass.
21. Do you enjoy silent movies?
I love Charlie Chaplin!
22. What is your favourite Bette Davis film?
All About Eve and Now Voyager. I love all of them, it is so hard to chose!
23. Your favourite onscreen Hollywood couple?
Fred Astaire and Judy garland.
24. This one is for the girls, but, of course, the guys are welcome to answer, too: who is your favorite Hollywood costume designer?
Edith Head
25. To even things out a bit, here's something the boys will enjoy: what is your favorite tough action film?
As far as they go for me, it's The Great Escape!
26. You are currently gaining a greater appreciation for which actor(s)/actress(es)?
Katharine Hepburn.
27. Franchot Tone: yes or no?
I don't know, but he was married to Joan Crawford so that's enough to make me say no.
28. Which actors and/or actresses do you think are underrated?
Doris Day. Have you seen The Man Who Know Too Much?
29. Which actors and/or actresses do you think are overrated?
Katharine Hepburn, even though I love her in my own way.
30. Favourite actor?
James Stewart
31. Favourite actress?
Bette Davis
32. Of those listed, who is the coolest: Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen, or Patrick Stewart?
Steve McQueen and Robert Redford.
33. What is your favorite movie from each of these genres:

Comedy:
The Odd Couple
Swashbuckler:
The Princess bride
Film noir:
Double Indemnity
Musical:
Singing In The Rain
Holiday:
Meet Me In St. Louis
Hitchcock:
Rear Window and North By Northwest.

I hope you liked it, thanks Amanda! 

~Bette

3 comments:

Amanda Cooper said...

Loved reading your answers! You had some really good ones. I especially liked your answer to #13!

Bette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frl. Irene Palfy said...

I completely agree with you answers to #9, 19, 22 and 28. ;")

If you are interested you can find my answers here:
http://andthentheystartsprkling.blogspot.com/2010/10/amandas-cinema-survey-autumn-of-2010.html

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes me happy to see people are interested in my posts!

~Bette