Saturday, 13 November 2010

My New Survey!

In case you hadn't noticed, I have been doing at bit of blog sprucing lately and today it has been completed by a great banner done my awesome friend Libby who surprised me by putting together a great banner with movie posters and photos! I love the little reference to my crazy obsession with the word ooshkiminoo. After doing Amanda's survey in the early autumn I was inspired to do my own! So here it is. Answer the questions and post them on your blog! I would quite like to see everyone's answers so if you could email them to me at bettedavisrocks@gmail.com that would be great! I will properly finish it on the 13th December.
  1. Favourite Actor?
  2. Actress?
  3. Judy Holliday: love her or hate her?
  4. Steve McQueen, Errol Flynn and Laurence Olivier. Who out of the names listed do you think would be most likely to don a sword and shield and confront a dragon?
  5. From dragon slaying to sheer madness (not that much of a leap), which crazy movie do you like best: Sunset Boulevard or Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?
  6. What do you think is the best movie book ever made?
  7. Who do you think is the most attractive male movie star?
  8. Female movie star?
  9. If you had to be a maid/butler (?) to someone, who would it be?
  10. Who do you think Cary Grant worked best with?
  11. Do you like black and white movies more than colour movies?
  12. 1930s films or 1960s films?
  13. Who would you rather be: a Margo Channing or an Ilsa Lund?
  14. Is there ever a film you have seen that you thought would be funnier if meerkats played the leads?
  15. What is your favourite "Oh my goodness" phrase from a movie?
  16. Favourite "Yee Haw" classic movie phrase?
  17. You and your family have to agree on a movie for a night in. What will it always be?
  18. Doris Day: Dramatic or Frothy?
  19. What male team did you think did a great job in a movie, but never made another one together?
  20. You have been asked by your friend to chose your favourite movie title. What is it?
  21. This is just out of curiosity... have you at some point experienced rivalry on a I-have-seen-that-and-you-haven't level?
  22. Most romantic film you have ever seen...
  23. What was the film that really got you into old films?
Ok, so there they are. I will now answer them, if I can!


1. Favourite Actor? James Stewart 

2. Actress? Bette Davis

3. Judy Holliday: love her or hate her? I lean towards hate her, but I could get used to her if I watch a few more of her movies.
4. Steve McQueen, Errol Flynn and Laurence Olivier. Who out of the names listed do you think would be most likely to don a sword and shield and confront a dragon? I would like to see Errol Flynn try (and fail) but my money would be on the McQueen.
5. From dragon slaying to sheer madness (not that much of a leap), which crazy movie do you like best: Sunset Boulevard or Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? Sunset Boulevard. It is more satisfying.
6. What do you think is the best movie book ever made? "All About All About Eve". So gossipy and informative.
7. Who do you think is the most attractive male movie star? I think James Stewart because he is so lovely and understanding.
8. Female movie star? Bette davis is attractive in her own way, but if I am thinking raving beauty; Audrey Hepburn.

9. If you had to be a maid/butler (?) to someone, who would it be? Ingrid Bergman or William Wyler. Ingrid is so cheery and Willy Wyler looks so clever and interesting. I refrained from saying Bette Davis because I would have liked to have been her friend.
10. Who do you think Cary Grant worked best with? Ingrid Bergman. To quote Taylor Swift, "Sparks fly whenever you smile."
11. Do you like black and white movies more than colour movies? Yes. You get shadows you just don't get in colour.
12. 1930s films or 1960s films?You could rely on 1930s films to be more sincere and generally good than 60s, so I will have to go with 1930s.
13. Who would you rather be: a Margo Channing or an Ilsa Lund? Tough. But my dream is to have Thelma Ritter as a maid so Margo Channing it is. Sorry Bogie, I just don't love you more than Thelma!

14. Is there ever a film you have seen that you thought would be funnier if meerkats played the leads? The Trouble With Harry, LOL!!!! I don't like this film, but with meerkats it would be awesome.
15. What is your favourite "Oh my goodness" phrase from a movie? "Oh my sainted Aunt!" From The Philidelphia Story.
16. Favourite "Yee Haw" classic movie phrase? RAAAASSSSBBBBEEEERRRRIIIIEEEES!!! From Thoroughly Modern Millie.
17. You and your family have to agree on a movie for a night in. What will it always be? National Velvet. SOOOOO cute.
18. Doris Day: Dramatic or Frothy? Dramatic. Breathtaking.
19. What male team did you think did a great job in a movie, but never made another one together? Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. They are pure genius.
20. You have been asked by your friend to chose your favourite movie title. What is it? A Matter Of Life And Death. It cracks me up, I have no idea why!
21. This is just out of curiosity... have you at some point experienced rivalry on a I-have-seen-that-and-you-haven't level? Not really. Although Libby beat me to The Philidelphia Story. DARN!!!
22. Most romantic film you have ever seen... The Way We Were and An Affair To Remember.
23. What was the film that really got you into old films? The Wizard Of Oz. My early childhood revolved around it.
     Hope you like it!

    ~Bette
    P.S. I have added a few photos since I first published this.


    6 comments:

    Clara said...

    Bette, I just sent you an e-mail, but anyway, here are my answers:

    http://via-51.blogspot.com/2010/11/bettes-classic-survey.html

    Thanks, that was fun :)

    Camille said...

    Hi: I made your survey :) Hope you don't mind :p

    Sarah said...

    Yay! Survey!! Thank you!

    http://2009and-scene.blogspot.com/2010/11/classic-film-survey.html

    Matthew Coniam said...

    Fabulous!
    I'm a sucker for a survey. Here are my answers:

    Favourite Actor? Charles Laughton

    Actress? Fay Wray

    Judy Holliday: love her or hate her?
    Don't really know her. was she the one in Adam's Rib? If so I thought she was pretty funny. Don't know her enough to love her...

    Steve McQueen, Errol Flynn and Laurence Olivier. Who out of the names listed do you think would be most likely to don a sword and shield and confront a dragon?
    Errol - only Errol.

    From dragon slaying to sheer madness (not that much of a leap), which crazy movie do you like best: Sunset Boulevard or Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?
    I actually have mixed feelings about both of them. I suppose I think SB is the better movie, but I enjoy WHTBJ? more... but both seem to me ignorantly disrespectful of old Hollywood. I'll go with Wilder I guess, because even when he's cruel he's clever.

    What do you think is the best movie book ever made?
    Madam Satan (1930) is as perfect as a Rembrandt painting.

    Who do you think is the most attractive male movie star?
    George Sanders

    Female movie star?
    Irene Ware

    If you had to be a maid/butler (?) to someone, who would it be?
    Harpo Marx

    Who do you think Cary Grant worked best with?
    Ingrid Bergman in Notorious. Probably the screen's most convincing love affair.

    Do you like black and white movies more than colour movies?
    Yes, no contest.

    1930s films or 1960s films?
    Even easier! 1930s.

    Who would you rather be: a Margo Channing or an Ilsa Lund?
    I'm not sure I made a very good job of being either. I guess Margo would be less of a stretch.

    Is there ever a film you have seen that you thought would be funnier if meerkats played the leads?
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

    What is your favourite "Oh my goodness" phrase from a movie?
    Favourite "Yee Haw" classic movie phrase?
    Huh?

    You and your family have to agree on a movie for a night in. What will it always be?
    And Then There Were None (1945)

    Doris Day: Dramatic or Frothy?
    Frothy.

    What male team did you think did a great job in a movie, but never made another one together?
    Cary Grant and Nigel Bruce in Suspicion (1941)

    You have been asked by your friend to chose your favourite movie title. What is it?
    Who Is Killing The Great Chefs of Europe?

    This is just out of curiosity... have you at some point experienced rivalry on a I-have-seen-that-and-you-haven't level?
    I spent my pre-teen years in constant agonies of jealousy over the fact that so many of my friends were allowed to stay up and watch horror films at weekends and I wasn't.

    Most romantic film you have ever seen...
    The Apartment (1960)

    What was the film that really got you into old films?
    Destry Rides Again (1939)

    Allen Hefner said...

    Bette, you write a wonderful, refreshing blog. Thank you.

    PLEASE don't count out Judy Holliday! I write about bit actors who make movies better than the stars can do by themselves.

    See my two posts about Judy at:
    http://bitactors.blogspot.com/2010/06/judy-holliday.html
    and
    http://bitactors.blogspot.com/2010/06/bells-are-ringing.html

    Finally, please make sure to see Bogart and Bacall in Dark Passage. It is one romantic movie, with a great ending.

    Keep on writing!

    Anonymous said...

    Jimmy Stewart was a ladies' man in his youth, and a bigot later on. He wasn't one of the nicest guys out there.

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes me happy to see people are interested in my posts!

    ~Bette