Friday, 31 December 2010

I'm Always Chasing Rainbows

This comes from the title of one of my favourite Judy Garland songs, "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows".


(If you click the speechbubble button, it goes away.) I just watched Ziegfeld Girl (1941) with Judy Garland, Lana Turner, Jimmy Stewart and Hedy Lamarr. It was really gritty! Lots of alcoholism and emotional distress (yes, I've decided I'm going to re-write the blerb of the DVD cover), and... JIMMY STEWART AS A GANGSTER!!! It was very good. I heard this song only once and fell in love with it. It is so lovely and thoughtfull. So happy new year!!! Here is 2010 in review.
July
I decide to start a movie blog. It was going to be called "Don't Lets Ask For The Moon... We Have The Stars" but that was quite lengthy so I thought I'd keep it simple with Bette's Classic Movie Blog. I had many panic attacks over my blog security (all sorted now) and started to tell you all about the movies I love.

August
I came back from my holiday and posted like mad about the films I was watching over the summer break. I also found out about a whole community of classic film bloggers through Whitney over at We Have The Stars and went on a following rampage. I posted reviews of films like Notorious, Spellbound, The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness, Gentleman's Agreement and Jezebel.

September
I went back to school and had to tear myself away from the blog for a bit. I posted about my adventures as a year 8 student (7th grade to you Americans) while still maintaining a considerable amount of sanity on the blog (it took a while to restrain my craziness). I reviewed films like The Little Foxes, A Star Is Born, Dark Victory, Kiss Me Kate and The Trouble With Harry. I also started to post about the film industry in general.

October
This blog's popularity shot up like a skyrocket. To keep my followers happy, I redecorated my blog with a pretty vintage flower pattern for my background. I felt like Doris Day in Calamity Jane!



I reviewed lots of films like The Philidelphia Story, Sabrina and Mrs Skeffington. I took part in my first survey and analyzed My Judy Garland Life by Susie Boyt while trying to keep up with my week-long intensive sailing course (and keeping dry!). I also dressed up as Mrs. Skeffington (above) for halloween.

November
In November I decided to take the plunge and do my first blogging event, Bette's Classic Movie Survey. It went surprisingly well, and I gained some followers and pageviews from all the great bloggers that took the survey. I reviewed even more films. Funny Girl, Rebecca, Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? and The Apartment to name a few.

December

I applied to two different movie blog associations (Classic Movie Blog Association, LAMB) and got voted onto the Classic Movie Blog association. I realized I had 33 followers and posted about Christmas films, and my distress at having to stay at school till 11pm to finish the Christmas show.

I leave you with a few more great musical numbers from Calamity Jane and other Doris Day movies.








~Bette

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes me happy to see people are interested in my posts!

~Bette