Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Films Watched While On Holiday

Hi all! Glad to be back. I had a great time on holiday. Even though we were on a Greek island in the Mediterranean we managed to have a Wuthering Heights-esque storm complete with gale force winds and leaking windows for most of the week. It was so cool. I was very very happy to have been given a super cool job in the packing for Greece process before we left: movie organizer. It was my job to buy movies from iTunes for our iPods, converting DVDs into MP4 files (i'm totally not a geek...) and packing the DVDs. The job went well and I am proud to announce that we introduced my friends to a few great classics while we were there. Here is the list of the films I watched in rough chronological order.
  1. Rebel Without a Cause (1955) Dir. Nicholas Ray, starring James Dean and Natalie Wood: New to me.
  2. Torn Curtain (1966) Dir. Alfred Hitchcock, starring Paul Newman and Natalie Wood: New to me.
  3. Brining Up Baby (1938) Dir. Howard Hawks, starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn: New to me and my little sister, absolutely crazy but we loved it!
  4. It Happened One Night (1934) Dir. Frank Capra, starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert: New to my friend who really enjoyed it :-)
  5. Now Voyager (1942) Dir. Irving Rapper, starring Bette Davis, Paul Henried and Claude Rains: New to all of my friend's family!
  6. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? (1967) Dir. Stanley Kramer, starring Sidney Poitier, Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn and Katharine Houghton: New to my friend's family and they really loved it. This film has to be prescribed watching.
  7. Gypsy (1962) Dir. Mervyn LeRoy, starring Rosalind Russel, Natalie Wood and Karl Malden: most of us had already seen it but it was new to my friend's little sister.
  8. The Talk Of The Town (1942) Dir. George Stevens, starring Cary Grant, Jean Arthur and Ronald Colman: New to my friend's family again, watched during a storm
  9. Strangers On A Train (1951) Dir. Alfred Hitchcock, starring Farley Granger and Robert Walker: New to me. Scared the life out of me. How is this a PG and Torn Curtain a 15?
  10. Show Boat (1951) Dir. George Sidney, starring Kathryn Grayson, Ava Gardner and Howard Keel: I actually only watched about fifteen minutes of this on the plane due to sleep deprivarion, but it looked good!
Looking back I watched lots of Cary Grant films, and Katharine Hepburn films. The best film I saw that was a new one to me was probably Torn Curtain. I'm going to try and review all the new ones soon. 

~Bette

1 comments:

jnpickens said...

Wow you watched a great bunch of movies! "Talk of the Town" is a lot of fun. I was a little sad she ended up with Cary Grant. He's a hottie but I wanted her to melt Ronald Colman's heart.

I looove the carousel scene at the end of "Strangers On a Train!" Such a great shot too when you see Miriam getting strangled though the reflection of her glasses.


"Torn Curtain" is a really interesting movie too. Who would have thought you would ever see Paul Newman, Julie Andrews and Hitchcock all in one film!?

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes me happy to see people are interested in my posts!

~Bette