Friday, 12 August 2011

Holiday (1938)

 Hi guys, I'm back! I had a great time and hope all of you on holiday are having one (and everyone who isn't, too :-D)!!! I watched some great movies and jotted a whole load of movie related thoughts in a scruffy yellow notepad and they are in the works. They should keep me busy for the rest of my holiday!!!

So I swam in clear blue waters, ate numerous keftedes (the phonetic spelling of meatballs in Greek!) and baffled everyone on the harbour with my oversized, Green, Audrey Hepburn style oval glasses ;-) and now I'm back in England where both the news and weather aren't too great, but I have some great things to do this holiday, including a trip to the National Portrait Gallery to see the exhibition, "Glamour of the Gods: Hollywood Portraits" too...

Holiday (1938) Directed by George Cukor


Cast:


Plot:



Engergetic young man, Johnny Case meets Julia Seton on a trip and they fall in love and plan to be married as soon as they get back to their home city - with Julia's father's approval, of course. When they get home, Johnny is surprised by how wealthy Julia's family is, but is happy when he realises how well he gets on with Julia's sister, Linda (although she is known as the "black sheep" of the family).


However, with Johnny's plans to go on an indefinite holiday after working for ten years straight (a plan which Julia's father disapproves of strongly), and the fact that Johnny and Julia's friends simply do not mix, complications follow. Not to mention how Linda agrees with Johnny about everything and they are becoming fast friends, but Linda cares for Julia's happiness too...


The Verdict:
I know I already wrote a tiny little bit about this film already, but I'm going to elaborate and ramble as usual (especially as I only wrote a sentence before...).

Cary Grant is in his prime in this film (*Shudder* remembrance of The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie :-S). As my family and I agreed, Cary Grant is our favourite in the The Philadelphia Story period. He shows us his acrobatic moves several times in this movie *_*. GAH!!!!! This is most certainly beyond all imagination of amazingness :O.


Katharine Hepburn is really sweet in this movie. I like her roles when she is playing this kind of character - a little more kooky than usual, not to mention that she participates in the beyond amazing feats of acrobatic skill.


All the supporting players do extremely well, especially Edward Everett Horton who stood out for me as well as Jean Dixon as his wife. I was certainly not crazy about Doris Nolan. She was always the same. She definitely didn't do it for me. But I did like Henry Kolker who played Edward Seton.


The costumes all the way through are beautiful. I am particularly in love with Katharine Hepburn's black party dress and all the thirties skirts and coat. *Swoon*
{costumes by Kallock}


This was a very nice film. While it isn't super outstanding, it manages to be a great little film, with a slight air of You Can't Take It With You. It would be a great way to spend an evening, (or anytime really!)

~Bette

4 comments:

Rianna said...

I love "Holiday"! It's actually one of the first classic movies I had seen, so I'm pretty sentimental about it. Great review. :)

Caftan Woman said...

"Holiday" is a lovely New Year's Eve watch. The sentiment is always timely and the script crackles.

Meredith said...

Hi, just wanted to let you know I just tagged you for the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award on my blog!

Rianna said...

Hi Bette,
I'm Rianna and I write a classic movie blog called Frankly, My Dear (franklymydear-blog.blogspot.com). I recently was passed on the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award, and since I really love your blog, I wanted to pass it on to you, too. I think I'm the second one awarding this to you... but anyway. See my blog for details. :)
Rianna

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes me happy to see people are interested in my posts!

~Bette