Thursday, 16 February 2012

Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman: The Ship That Never Left The Dock


{My GIF}

There was a post floating around on Tumblr a while ago that had a picture of Cary and Ingrid and the caption: "The Ship That Never Left The Dock". I don't know if you ever use it or see it used, but on the web, it's customary to tag or label your favourite of/on screen couples with OTP (one true pairing) or I Ship These Two (I ship them together, I put them together even though their roles or life don't mirror your views.) This made me think. I love Kate and Spence and The Powells, but they were either together or always played Mr and Mrs. I completely love Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman together. They're lovely and romantic together and whenever I watch them on screen, I find it hard to deal with that they were never married with many children. Is that weird?


They certainly show their both dramatic and romantic best in Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece (and my favourite), Notorious (1946). Their pairing was utter genius from a genius director. From the moment they first look at each other you know that that's it - their a match made in heaven. The whole way through the film even when they aren't a "couple" they are always somehow romantically joined. You don't get that often or easily - they were a near perfect match. Fast-forward about 10 years and you've got the delightful rom-com Indiscreet (1958), which I believe Cary Grant claimed to be his favourite movie.


Indiscreet is one of my all-time favourites. I can't pick any holes or faults with it - it's pretty flawless. It's one of those films that when you can't decide what to watch you just stick this on and enjoy it as if you've never watched it before. I first watched it with my mum as an antidote to the grim yet mesmerising Cabaret and we laughed and enjoyed it so much we showed it to my little sister that day and she loved it, too. They prove in this that they can not only do the dramatic together - but the comedy too. Why didn't more directors cast them together?


I suppose it was probably because Cary was always being paired with the likes of Irene Dunne and his other partner (I happen to adore this pair almost as much as the Ingrid one), Katharine Hepburn. Ingrid was often galavanting off in Italy or  making other movies without a main plot being love. It's a true shame they never made more movies together - I adore them. I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP.


~Bette

6 comments:

Maria Sofia said...

I saw Notorious last night, I loved it so, so much. Such passion between Grant and Bergman. I was wondering what other films they've made together, it's sad that there's only one more!

R.C. said...

Cary did say that Indiscreet was his favorite film. He liked it because it was so well economically made--there weren't too many people in it--and it was also a well put together script/film. He loved working with Ingrid on it, and he even specifically asked for her to do this film with him.

Rianna said...

asdfghjkl I feel exactly the same, Bette, like EXACTLY. I'm glad I'm not the only one. ;) I simply adore these two ugggh WHY DIDN'T THEY GET MARRIED. The main plot of Notorious isn't even their romance and yet it's one of the reasons I love that movie so much! And Indiscreet is wonderful because of the two of them. They are perfect. They should have gotten married. WHY :'(

I'M GOING DOWN ON THE SHIP WITH YOU. ;)

StanwyckFan said...

I loved your post, Bette! And even though I don't ADORE Cary or Ingrid, I must admit they are an epic OTP. :)

Kate Gorman said...

I love everything about Notorious. xx

Anonymous said...

love them totally! Great chemistry on screen.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes me happy to see people are interested in my posts!

~Bette