The day has finally come - after six weeks of freedom, classic movies, reading, family holidays and general fun times - that my summer holiday has come to an end. Tomorrow I'll be going back to school. back to where Greer Garson and Robert Donat aren't running the school, where Maggie Smith isn't trying to send my friends off to fight wars in Spain (heaven forbid. Brodie group *shudder*), and Jean Arthur doesn't teach drama (lucky Meryl Streep gets all the breaks).
This summer I've become seriously obsessed (healthily/unhealthily?) with Laurence Olivier and watched and re-watched quite a few of his movies. I watched That Hamilton Woman which was a film I should have posted about but didn't (shame on me). I liked it a lot! New OTP, Larry and Vivien. For sure.
I had a Greer Garson resurgence (seriously tho, when am I not lovin Da Garson?) and I watched a couple more of her films, Valley Of Decision, Mrs Parkington and Scandal At Scourie (more on that in a fangirley post to follow later, hopefully). They were all wonderful and Greer was fabulous in all of them. FLAWLESS. Guys, we need a fan club here. The "What A Difference The Navy's Made To Me" song in Julia Misbehaves can be our anthem. Hell yeah.
Greer Garson presenting the Academy Award for Best Actor at the 24th Academy Awards, 1952.
Of course there were countless more obsessions but for now here's a half-remembered list of movies I've watched :-D
- Journey To Italy (1956) New
- Indiscreet (1958) Rewatch
- Roman Holiday (1952) Rewatch
- Funny Face (1956) Rewatch
- Charade (1969) Rewatch
- Rebecca (1940) Rewatch
- Wuthering Heights (1939) Rewatch
- That Hamilton Woman (1941) New
- The Valley Of Decision (1945) New
- Pride And Prejudice (1941) Rewatch
- Julia Misbehaves (1948) Rewatch
- Mrs Miniver (1942) Rewatch
- A Streetcar Named Desire (1956) New
- A Woman's Face (1938) New
- Blossoms In The Dust (1942) Rewatch
- Mrs Parkington (1944) New
- Scandal At Scourie (1953) New
- Hamlet (1948) New
- La Regle Du Jeu (1939) New
- Libeled Lady (1936) Rewatch
- Adam's Rib (1949) Rewatch
- Gypsy (1962) Rewatch
- Funny Girl (1967) Rewatch
- The Devil Wears Prada (2006) Rewatch
- Hugo (2011) New
- To Kill A Mockingbird (1962) Rewatch
- The Big Sleep (1946) New
- To Catch A Thief (1955) Rewatch
11 new, 17 rewatched.
So I'm going back tomorrow morning! Ugh. Anyway, there's a lot to look forward to. In October, I'm playing Juliet in an abridged production of Romeo and Juliet that we're doing for the Shakespeare School's Festival. Also, I get to wear two new jumper colours in May, and I'm sure there will be loads of things to look forward to. SPANISH EXCHANGE! Anyway. If you're back at school/work, I hope you're having fun, and if you're still on holiday, HAVE FUN!