Saturday, 6 April 2013

Look who's here! I'm still here!

Despite the probability of that slightly contrived Stephen Sondheim reference going completely unnoticed I couldn't resist (Follies anyone?). I really am still here. Vaguely. I just wanted to announce what will be a new series on this blog which was really my mum's idea.

We watched "A Star Is Born" again last night and she came up with a great idea for a series of posts. The series consists of the reviews of five backstage movies. Be it the backlots of the movie studios or the wings of a broadway theatre. These five are as follows, and are to be reviewed in this order: All About Eve (1950), Funny Girl (1968), Singing In The Rain (1952), Sunset Boulevard (1950) and concluding with A Star Is Born (1954). The series is going to be called "Into The Heart Of An Artichoke: Uncovering The Darker Side of Showbiz". I know there are many that I've missed out on that list (I just had a pang of conscience when I realised I'd missed out my beloved "Gypsy") But I thought these reflected the broad spectrum of what these films can be like best.

Credit goes to Lejazzhot for the original image.
As usual I can't make any promises about when this series will run exactly, it will be quite erratic but I would like to get all of those films reviewed and compared in the near future. Hope you'll enjoy!

Bette

7 comments:

classyfilmlover said...

This series sounds like a great idea! I'm especially excited to read your upcoming post on All About Eve. When I first saw that film I was stunned at how conniving an aspiring star can be. While I've watched many films on the movie/theater industry, I have no personal experience in showbiz, so it'll be neat to read the posts from your perspective.

Sofia said...

looking forward to it, Bette!

Kate Gorman said...

Looking forward to your posts. I love your blog.

Aubyn Eli said...

Hi Bette,

Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Liebster Award over at my blog.

http://thegirlwiththewhiteparasol.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-liebster-comes-to-town.html

rs gold for sale said...

This particular sequence seems like a good idea! I am specially fired up to learn your current future submit in All About Eve. Initially when i first noticed that film I had been stunned at just how conniving a future star could be. Whilst I have watched several motion pictures around the movie/theater business, I've no knowledge throughout showbiz, thus it will likely be neat to see the particular articles from your perspective.

runescape gold for sale
Billig Diablo 3 Gold

angelman66 said...

Bette, just found and favorited your awesome blog...am reading voraciously and am mesmerized by all the brilliant gifs. Can't wait to see your posts on the next five movies...all are favorites in my own collection.

Mahesh Oro said...

I love commenting on these kind of articles and i use to comment regularly. This article will help me, thanks for sharing
Vikramasimha Movie Review

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes me happy to see people are interested in my posts!

~Bette